Sponge gourd curry recipe, delicious good healthy easy to make and easy to eat and less time-consuming.
In Nepal, curries are also known as tarkari is an important dish for dinner and lunch without them it is like ‘’ masala without curry’’. It’s one among the favored food items in Nepal.
Every curry has its own taste and cooking methods. As for the taste, it can be adjusted depending on the user’s taste and preference.
The ingredients are mostly, turmeric powder jeera potatoes salt tomatoes garam masala oil, and more. Sometimes people like to change the taste and eat them with chicken and some other meats.
Well, to tell the truth, it’s my favourite dish. I really love to have them on any meal day or night.
You won’t believe it if I said…
I spend my 6 months eating this Sponge Gourd curry recipe day and night. Haha too much right?? ^^
I don’t know why but I just love them. The texture was so good and sweet.
My mom was so fed up that she told me she will not plant them in our vegetable field from nxt time. 😀 😀
Sponge Gourd ( Ghiraula)
Sponge gourd also is known as Egyptian cucumber, luffa cylindrical, Vietnamese luffa, or luffa is the healthiest green vegetables for our health. Well, Luffa is a fruit but it’s basically consumed as vegetables.
You ask, how?
To make them edible, it needs to harvest it at their early stage of development.
So what happens when we harvest them at full development?
It turns into scrubbing sponges that are used in the bathroom and kitchen or they left them in the vine to age further and get their seeds from the Ghiraula or made pot scrubbers. In Nepal, it’s a common vegetable that is available all around the markets. It is a very popular vegetable item in Nepal. I can’t say all but most of the peoples love to eat sponge gourd curry (sabzi) in their meal.
As sponge gourd has many names and people tend to get confused. I would like to say ‘please don’t be’ because all sponge gourd is the same only the names are different. They all are from the same family. But they have 2 different varieties;
- Smooth gourd – Ghiraula
The most popular vegetable in Nepal also known as silk gourd, sponge luffa gourd, or toriya. Sweet in texture, resembles a long cucumber with smooth green skin. As for cooking the young gourd is the best as they are sweet and have a distinctive taste.
- Angled gourd – Pate – Ghiraula
The angled gourd is widely known as Chinese okra ridged luffa or angled luffa gourd. Its long and narrow gourd as for the skin its sharply ribbed. As for cooking only young luffa is used mature luffa turns into a sponge-like fibrous texture and the taste will be bitter.
Sponge gourd benefits
- Weight loss
- Blood purifier
- Prevent diabetes
- Good for the stomach
Sponge Gourd Curry Recipe Ingredients
- Potatoes – 2 medium size
- Salt – as your taste
- Garlic – 1 tbsp (chopped)
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Tomato – 2 medium size
- Ghiraula – 1 medium size
- Fresh coriander – 1 tbsp
Sponge Gourd Curry Recipe Methods
- Take a pan and add oil to it. Heat the oil at medium temperature.
- Add cumin into the oil. Fry them for some seconds.
- Add Diced potatoes into the oil and fry them until its color turns into light brown.
- Now add chopped charlic and turmeric powder. Mix them well and leave for 10-15 sec before adding Ghiraula in it.
- Add the ghiraula in the pan and mix them well.
- After that, if salt is added then you don’t have to but if salt is not add then add them n mix them well.
- Add tomatoes into the pan and mix them well. Leave them for 2 min to cook.
- After 2 min, Add garam masala or curry masala into the pan. Mix them n cook them for 1 min on medium temperature. You can add water in your curry is too thick.
- Check the salt and your Sponge Gourd (ghiraula) curry is ready.
Our sponge gourd curry recipe is finished. Hope you guys like it.
For more recipes Click Here..
THANK YOU ^^