UTTAPAM also is known as Oothappam is a South Indian recipe of South Indian Cuisine which is mostly eaten and loved by people. To make the uttapam batter, the recipes are given below. It is a dish that is served in the morning as breakfast and at dinner as the main course. In South India, it is most popular as a breakfast dish. These are the common dish that is prepared in South Indian homes and are mostly eaten with chutney or SAMBAR.
It is a type of DOSA. However, in a typical dosa, it is crisp and crepe-like whereas in UTTAPAM it is thicker and crispy and the inner layers are spongy and soft with different toppings on top which make it more delicious.
TO Make UTTAPAM good in texture, the batter must be well prepared. So first, Rice and URAD DAL or lentils are soaked overnight so that it helps to grind properly and make the batter smooth and easy and then ground and fermented until it rises above the water level. At last, this batter is used to make UTTAPAM.
Traditionally it is made with a different topping on top like tomatoes, onion, capsicum, coriander or you can even use beets, carrots, and coconut for the topping. At last, it is served with chutney.
Now for the ingredients.
Ingredients For Uttapam
- Rice – 1 cup/ 200 g
- Urad Dal – 1/2 cup / 100g
- Water – 2/3 / 160-170 ml
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Onion (chopped) – 1 medium
- Green Chillies (chopped) – 3
- Coriander Leaves (chopped) – 1/4 tsp
- Vegetable Oil – 3tbsp
FOR THE UTTAPAM BATTER
1. So to make Uttapam Batter, take a separate bowl for both rice and urad dal. Now add water in both of the bowls at least 1 inch above the ingredients. Leave them for 4 hours so that they can be soaked nicely and properly.
2. After that drain them and grind rice into a paste. While grinding them don’t forget to add water (1/3 cup).
3. Now grind dal into a paste too, gradually adding remaining water as we did for the rice paste (1/3 cup).
4. So now take a large bowl and mix both rice and urad dal paste together to make the batter. While adding them don’t forget to add salt in the batter.
5. Cover it and keep them aside ( not in a refrigerator) at least 12 hours to ferment.
6. After 12 hours have passed, mix fermented paste and all other ingredients that are left except oil. Your Uttapam Batter is ready.
Note: While making the uttapam batter do not add too much water on both rice and urad dal paste, your paste might be too watery and that’s not good for the batter.
TO MAKE UTTAPAM
7. Let us make our uttapam batter ready before heating the pan.7.In a medium flame heat fry pan about
- 2 minutes for 22 cm
- 3 minutes for 26 cm
- 3-4 minutes for 30 cm pans.
8. To check the pan is ready or not just add a drop of batter. Now stir the batter and pour the batter in the center of the pan. With the back of the rounded ladle, quickly and gently spread batter to make a round of even thickness.
9. Add oil around the edges of uttapam.
10. Fry them till the surface appears dull and the underside is a golden brown (about 3 minutes).
11. Dribble oil over uttapam. Then turn over.
12. Fry them until the underside is golden brown (about 3 minutes).
13. Now fry the remaining uttapam in the same way.
14. Now our uttapam is done. The server it hot accompanied with some chutney.
Is It Good For Health?
Well yes, that is because it is low in fat with high flavors. It is a very easy and quick breakfast in a fast pace world. It is also good for people who are in a diet as it is a low-fat diet dish. If you want to cut down more fat and calories then you can prefer to eat plan Uttapam.
Well people, the information about uttapam and uttapam batter is finish. Hope you can share your cooking experience with us in the comment section. If there is any problem or miss information in the post then please write it down in the section.
THANK YOU ^^