Chana masala curry – Chana masala curry is a delicious Indian curry that is made from chickpeas with masala gravy. It is the most important part of the curry. Without masala gravy it’s like “Human without Air” you know what I mean. It is mostly like to be eaten with cooked Rice, Roti, Naan, puri, paratha, or chuira (flattened rice).
Chana Masala! what’s that?
Chana masala is a famous Indian dish that is made in spicy gravy/curry. As far as I know, chana masala has originated within the northern region of the Indian subcontinent and the most popular dish in India and Pakistan cuisine.
In India, most of the people know chana masala as chole masala, chole, or even chholay. This dish can be known by different names in several regions.
The word chana means chickpeas and masala means the mixture of various spices altogether. The fundamental ingredients of this dish are chickpeas which are also called Kala chana (black chana). Chana masala is genuinely dry and zesty with acid citrus (as it flavors usually come from onion and coriander). In most of the restaurants, chana is replaced by chole, and therefore the two adaptations are broadly sold as nibble food and road food in the Indian subcontinents.
It’s a famous dish all through India and Pakistan, with a little twist changing by locals. Not only the 2 countries, all around the globe it’s gained popularity.
As we are making chana masala curry, So
What is Curry?
Curry is an assortment of dishes beginning in the Indian subcontinent that utilization a mind-boggling mix of flavors or spices, ordinarily including ground turmeric, cumin, coriander, ginger, and new or dried chilies.
In southern India, where the word began, curry leaves, from the curry tree, are additionally a basic ingredient. Curry is commonly set up in a sauce. Curry might be either ‘dry’ or ‘wet’. As dry curries are cooked with next to no fluid because it eventually evaporates and leaving the ingredients covered with the spice mixture whereas wet curries contain a significant amount of sauce or sauce dependent on stock.
How chana masala curry is made?
As all of us know, the first step is always easy. don’t believe me? ok, your loss :D.
The first step is to soak the chickpeas (chana) overnight. Why? Because it helps to cook chickpeas easy in less time and helps the chickpeas to grow to double their size. After that cook them in a pressure cooker.
The second step is to make onion and tomatoes paste with the help of a blender. So that later you add them while making curry.
The third step is to add the cooked chickpeas in the curry. Pre heats them and served them hot.
Which masala or spices to use?
Well, I use garam masala in my chana masala curry. Garam masala is mostly used in curries. But you can use other masalas too for the aromatic if you don’t have garam masala in the house. If both are unavailable then you can use curry powder though the taste won’t is similar but “hey nothing is better then something”.
Can I use canned chickpeas and canned tomatoes in chana masala curry?
Yes, you can use the canned tomatoes and chickpeas to make chana masala curry but the texture of canned products will not be the same as always. It is very different from organic products. So It’s better to use natural and fresh ingredients for the food.
- Chickpeas – 250 grams
- Cooking Oil – 1 tbsp
- Onion – 3 medium size
- Tomato – 3 medium size
- Ginger paste – 1 tbsp
- Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Jeera – 1/4 tbsp
- Bayleaf – 1 -2 leaves
- Garam Masala – 1 tbsp
- Coriander Leaves (chopped) – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tbsp
- Green Chili – 1 tbsp
- Red Chili Powder (optional) – 1 tbsp
- Salt – As needed
Methods To Make Chana Masala Curry
- Wash the chickpeas properly and soak them for about 8-9 hours before cooking them or soak them overnight. Remove the water and wast it properly.
- Add chana in the pressure cooker with 1cup of water alongside with some salt and turmeric powder. Cook them on the medium flame as for the whistle (5-6) times.
- Once the chana is cooked check them by squeezing. Remember chana should not be too mushy.
For making curry
- First, let’s make our tomatoes and onion paste. So for that,
- Take 3 medium size tomato and cut them into 4 pieces and add them to the blender to make the paste.
- As for the onion, do the same procedure as we did for tomatoes. Keep them aside.
- Take a pan and add oil to the pan. While the oil heats up, add jeera, green chili, and bay leaf. Stir them for a few seconds.
- Now add turmeric powder and chili powder. Stir them for 2-3 sec.
- After that add ginger-garlic paste and fry them for 1 minute.
- Now add onion paste and cook them for 8-10 min on medium flame. After that add some water and again cook the onion for 1-2 minutes because adding both pastes together can make the taste different.
- After that, add tomato paste and leave them for 8-10 minutes. If you want more curry then you can add water. Now add salt to the curry and cook them for more few minutes after you are done with the curry add chana and cook them again for some minutes. Add the freshly chopped coriander on top of the curry.
- Serve the chana masala curry with some rice or roti.